The Mountain Council of Governments consists of over 20 municipalities, school districts, authorities, the Greater Hazleton Civic partnership, and the Chamber of Commerce.
MCOG has been existence almost 20 years. It began when a few local municipalities joined together for the purpose of discussing and studying community challenges of mutual interest and concern.
The MCOG engages in the joint purchase of equipment and supplies, sharing of equipment and services, and they meet in a monthly forum to discuss common concerns and to hear speakers on timely subjects.
MCOG is an affiliate of the Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce which provides office space for MCOG business, a meeting place, and other perks. The COG is also assisted with funds from the Luzerne County Commissioners and a state grant sponsored by Representative Eachus.
The basic mission of MCOG is:
- To provides a neutral forum to discuss issues of common concern
- To articulate common positions on major issues
- To lower the costs of services, supplies, and equipment
- To provide government services on a regional basis
- To coordinate planning and regulatory activities
Our goal is to build on the collective strengths and resources to produce a SYNERGY that results in a better community for all our citizenry.
Some of MCOG’s accomplishments and endeavors include:
- Joint purchase of a sewer camera and tar kettle
- Yearly joint purchase of road salt
- A joint municipal abandoned vehicle ordinance
- Gateway signage and beautification projects throughout the area
- Assistance in developing Rails to Trails
- Regional police feasibility studies
- UCC code enforcement assistance
- Shared road services and equipment
- Speakers from the state, county, and private sector on grant writing and other money saving opportunities for municipalities and school districts
- Information regarding state programs such as COSTARS, NEPA, and surplus purchasing through the state and federal government